A Favour for a Favour, a Drunks Edition
None
It was surreal, to go from such lows to the highs of euphoria in the space of two days. With Korr thwarted for a time, the Champion had a rare moment of calm. She was herself again. Or at least the most genuine when not constantly goaded and taunted by the demon who’d taken a special interest in her. Aoife let her back sink deeper into the tavern's chair as her  mind lingered on his words to Bethany, his threat to snuff her life out completely if they so much as tried to replace him.

She hadn’t mentioned that part to Sebastian, not yet. Other things had taken priority and while there came a slight flush to her cheeks, Aoife’s smile was sly, preferring to remain in those more stimulating memories than the notion of her dying. Too many had already tried and failed. Perhaps the demon was merely running scared, yet even years on she had barely scratched the surface of his motivations.

Perhaps because she was in a lull, or too distracted by an idle thought about the rogue Prince, but Aoife had to be prodded. Azure eyes snapped over to the elf nudging her elbow, indignation flashed, but only garnered a flick of her wrist, tossing her cards down. [color=#0074d9]“... Diamonds are forever lads, sorryyyyy,”[/color] she’d sigh at first, until that signature smirk couldn’t be contained any longer.

A chorus of groans and disappointed grumblings ran around the small group, all while Aoife snickered. [color=#0074d9]“I diiiiid warn you. Best not play me when I’m this many pints in.”[/color] Pulling her winnings across, she’d order another round while the dealer dealt in who wished for another bout. There was a decision to be made, yet some details were fuzzy. [color=#0074d9]“How many’s that now?... [/color][color=#0074d9]Six times?...[/color][color=#0074d9] Maker, yeah lemme take a break. Give you lads a better chance."[/color] [color=#888888]She’d snort. Then, rolling her eyes,[/color] [color=#0074d9]"Just. No fucking Kirkwall stories. The dwarf’s already told ‘em all.”[/color]
Garryn didn’t get to Starkhaven as often as he’d like, but when he had to be in Starkhaven to meet with Sebastian, he definitely took advantage of it. Not that Tantervale didn’t have the things that Starkhaven did, but it was the fun of getting out and being somewhere else for a little bit.

Being King who was acting as a Lord Chancellor wasn’t easy. His people still looked to him as King, but the general people of Tantervale obviously only saw him as Lord Chancellor, and some of those weren’t happy about being led by a dwarf.

Slipping into the tavern, his eyes scanned the room before landing on a familiar face. At the moment he came in Aoife seemed pretty deep in conversation with other people, so Garryn went straight to the bar and ordered himself a drink.

As he sipped on his drink, he watched Aoife from the corner of his eye. Under ordinary circumstances he’d probably be eager to join in, but as he hadn’t exactly brought gambling money with him on this trip, he chose to watch from afar.
Leaf continued to pull together her winnings, gaze lifting to see if a server was passing before making a quick sweep of the bar. Everything halted as her eyes landed on a familiar face. She was dreaming, surely, but the firm clint of alloy on alloy clearly meant she wasn’t.

[color=#0074d9]“Garryn!” [/color]she’d yell, not really caring if the whole place heard her, she was a few cups in by this stage. Quickly scooping up the bulk of her winnings and filling her coin purse, she’d bid the table adieu, waving at the barman to start on a pint for her.

[color=#0074d9]“I’m surprised to find you here,”[/color] she’d chuckle, then grin, [color=#0074d9]“surprised Sebastian isn’t with you too, cape of ambiguity and all.” [/color]Was she saying the Prince went out in disguise? Maybe he did, maybe he didn’t… maybe it was something they should make time for, even just a stroll around.
Garryn looked over and smiled as Aoife recognised he was there. He raised his glass and greeted Aoife warmly. Aoife! It’s been too long! I thought I’d get something to drink after my meeting with Sebastian. He explained, happy to see Aoife, a familiar face in the sea of strangers, and a friendly face at that!

Garryn took another look behind Aoife, at the table she had left and gave her an impressive nod. Impressive, I think I heard you say you’ve won six in a row?! Or was it seven?! Either way it was seriously impressive. Garryn definitely made a mental note to be careful if he ever played cards with Aoife.
Sliding into the stool next to him, Aoife grinned wide, [color=#0074d9]“I’m not surprised he didn’t join you. Probably thought he’d be harassed or fawned over and he’s not much a fan of either.”[/color] Placing the purse on the counter, Leaf began sorting through the mix of coinage, sorting some of the currency into another smaller purse.

She offered the man a gentle roll of a shoulder. [color=#0074d9]“I dunno. I think so, I know when to quit though, too much time playing with Varric I suppose.” [/color]And Bella, but she’d place the entire blame of the one who’d written an exaggerated best seller. Dick. She loved the man, but gods, he needed to mind his own goddamn business. [color=#0074d9]“How’d the meeting go?” [/color]
Garryn didn’t want to admit he’d been having doubts lately, well, not even lately. He’d been having doubts ever since Belgond Knurla in Ferelden on the ruins of old Ostagar. How could he be King, he wasn’t ready to be king, fucking damn Darkspawn killing his father and running them out of their home, it was all their fault really. Ever since then he’d been stumbling around in the dark feeling like he was the blind leading the blind.

Garryn shrugged, sipping his drink thoughtfully. "Not too bad, I'd say. Usual political stuff, but we're making progress." He glanced at the coinage she was sorting, a hint of amusement in his eyes. "Seems like you're having a profitable night, though." Garryn had heard stories about Varric, but then what dwarf hadn’t, even in Orzammar he had a reputation that preceded him, probably the most famous surface dwarf in Orzammar. He envied Varric, man of his own fate.
Her winnings now sorted and pocketed in the secret pockets of her robe Aoife nodded, the bows of her head exaggerated with the drink as she grinned at him. Usual boring stuff, I bet. I stand in some of those meetings, sometimes, even I nearly fall asleep in them. Snickering, she waved down the barkeep, ordering a mug of coffee, tea, something that wasn’t ale so she’d make it back to the Palace some degree of sober.

Again she’d shrug at her luck, Shame it’s in cards and not in anything else. Lady Luck is funny, or Varric just did a good job at teaching me, who’s to say. She’d lean an arm over the bartop, resting her chin on her hand as she studied the bar behind them for a moment before glancing back at him. How are you though? I know the Palace can be stuffy, but here’s not where I’d expect to find a King.
Garryn gave a noncommittal shrug, a small smile playing on his lips. Sometimes, you need to escape the stuffiness of the palace, even if it's just to a bustling tavern. It's a nice change of pace. He took another sip of his drink, his gaze meeting Aoife's, it was clear he was holding back, that there was more on his mind than the usual. "At least, that’s what I tell myself."

But to be honest, Garryn continued, his gaze momentarily shifting to the drink in his hand, it's not easy being a king. There's a weight to it, a responsibility that can be...overwhelming at times. He was the eldest son of Bhelen, he always knew he’d be king some day, but what he never planned on was witnessing his father die while they evacuated all their people out of Orzammar and onto the surface. Most days he didn’t feel like anything, other days he felt like a failure, he’d never coveted his father’s title, but he’d never expected to have it forced on him as young as he was when the shit had hit the proverbial fan.
Leaf’s lips curled wider, it was why she was here was she? Nodding with a chuckle, It is. It’s also a chance to listen in on the main talk and woes of the day. Then it changed, there was something in his eyes that meant more brimmed under the surface. Aoife tilted her head. Now there’s a look I’ve not seen on you. You really did need a pick-me-up.

He was exhausted and as she thought about it, he had every right to be shouldering such a burden. When she had fled her home, it had just been her family, not her entire people, but even those few she had struggled to keep safe. It’s not. All the smart ones say so. I see the same look on Seb’s face after a really long day. It’s not meant to be easy. Offering a little chuckle, Leaf sat up as the barman came with a mug of coffee, nodding in thanks. Her hand reached for an inside pocket, pulling out a deck of cards to begin shuffling them.

I don’t get much action these days, thankfully. I do a lot of listening though. Want a game?
Garryn had been thinking a lot lately about his situation, and about the fact that he felt there were plenty of candidates that were better suited to his role than he was. Stepping away from it all wasn’t going to be an easy decision though, as his father’s memory and what he would think haunted Garryn.

Sometimes I wonder, how easily things could have been different. What if Harrowmont had become King instead of my father, or fuck, what if my father hadn’t betrayed his older siblings. Who would I be then…. His voice trailed off, but as Aoife brought up cards, his demeanour shifted.

Garryn's eyes followed as Aoife pulled out the deck of cards. He let out a soft laugh, the tension easing from his shoulders. I may not stand a chance against the reigning champion, but why not? A game sounds like just the distraction I need.

@Aoife Hawke
Aoife snickered a little, the drink still giving her that buzz. These are questions, that will never have answers and no amount of spinning them around will change that. Hands began cutting the deck and shuffling. What would have happened if I hadn’t met a swamp witch that rescued me and my family? Would Kirkwall have been spared, or just exploded far faster? The only thing we can earn from the past is how to better prepare our future.

She began dealing, offering him a glance and chuckling, We can call the bets our tab for next time, I won’t be kicking a man while he’s down. I’ve already won my gold, no sense taking a friend’s too. Dealing out a third hand just for rules sake, Leaf sank back in her chair, cards spread like a fan in front of her.

What’s the one thing stopping you doing the thing you want to do? Eyes on her cards, she tossed the question out there. She deliberately left the question broad, vague of prying detail to give him ample scope to answer. You had to have a problem to worry about if you were agonising this much and it seemed judging by his ‘what if’s’ they were pressing ones..
Garryn chuckled softly, appreciating Aoife's philosophical musings over their game of cards. He leaned back in his chair, studying his hand as he considered her question.

The one thing stopping me? he mused aloud, tapping his fingers lightly against the edge of the table. Fear, perhaps. Fear of failure, of letting down those who depend on me. There are decisions I need to make, paths I must choose, and each one feels like walking on a tightrope over a pit of uncertainty.

He glanced up from his cards, meeting Aoife's gaze with a thoughtful expression. But you're right about the past. It's taught me that dwelling on the 'what ifs' only ties us to regret. I suppose the challenge lies in finding the courage to forge ahead, despite those uncertainties.

Garryn paused, a half-smile quirking his lips. As for the bets, I'll gladly accept your terms for the next round. And who knows, maybe by then, I'll have a clearer answer to your question.

@Aoife Hawke
Well. That wasn’t so hard now was it? Leaf grinned, eyes still on her cards while he confessed being afraid to take that leap. Wherever it led to.

Moving her cards into an order she was happy with, Leaf continued to linger on them as she spoke. Fear can be crippling. Trust me, there were times some of my fights nearly had me shitting myself, but my point is. You gotta move past it. Letting it win only leads to further regret. And boy did she regret a few things she hadn’t been brave enough to grasp with both hands.

Her hand paused over the deck between them, regarding him with a grin. You might regret that, I had a very good teacher remember, but answers are always good. Kinda. Sometimes they lead to more questions.
Garryn leaned back in his chair, a small smile playing on his lips as he listened to Leaf. His eyes never left her face, even as she arranged her cards. The flickering light from the tavern's hearth danced across their table, casting playful shadows over their game.

You’re right, he said, nodding thoughtfully. Fear can be crippling. It’s like a shadow that follows you, making every step feel like you’re walking through quicksand.

He glanced down at his own cards, frowning slightly as he considered his next move. Leaf’s words resonated with him more than he wanted to admit. The fear of making the wrong choice, of facing the unknown, had held him back more times than he cared to count.

But you're also right about something else, Garryn continued, lifting his gaze to meet hers. Regret is a heavy burden. Heavier than fear, even. Because fear is about the future, but regret? Regret is about the past. And that’s a weight that’s hard to shake off.

He reached out, placing his cards face down on the table, a sign of his temporary surrender to the deeper conversation they were having. His expression softened, a mixture of gratitude and determination in his eyes.

I’m glad you had a good teacher, he said, his voice sincere. And I’m grateful for your words. They mean more than you know. Maybe it’s time I started facing my fears head-on. No more letting them win.

Garryn chuckled softly, shaking his head. And as for answers leading to more questions… well, that’s life, isn’t it? One big, never-ending puzzle. But that’s what makes it interesting. Keeps us moving forward.

He picked up his cards again, his smile returning as he looked at Leaf. Alright then, let’s see how good of a teacher you had. Your move. His dad had taught him some about poker, some tips that really helped him, the problem was that Garryn just didn’t have a poker face, most people could read him like a book no matter how hard he tries to hide it.

@Aoife Hawke
Don’t let too many people hear you say that, she’d chuckle, but sobered quickly with a slow nod as he continued. Oh yeah, can certainly feel like that, or mud.. It didn’t matter how much I thought I had all the pieces in the right place, something… always tipped the balance.

Kirkwall had been a powder keg. It was always going to explode, its troubles too numerous and simple at the same time where no-one could agree on a path out of the web of chaos and undertone. Some decisions she regretted later, the unnecessary deaths that had come from those choices had weighed on her mind, some still did.

Leaf nodded, glancing between him and her cards with a slight grin. See, you already have a good sound head on you. The past… is that. Passed. The best thing you can do is use whatever you learn so you don’t regret future choices. Her hand shifted the cards back into one pile, nestling them in the crook of her arm as she listened. The confidence growing in his tone, that he’d not let them win caused her to laugh, nodding along. Good. If you feel like your life is constantly on the losing side it can take you down a dark path. I’ve seen it happen. With one mage in particular. How she regretted not seeing the signs of Anders betrayal, all those innocent lives snuffed out, sparking the rebellion and plunging everyone into chaos.

Answers are never really straightforward either. Life enjoys throwing us shit with no instructions. We’re all just doing the best we can with what we have.

Now he’d returned the cards to his hand, Leaf spread her hand back open to muse over, snickering at his challenge. Oh I hope you don't have a limit on this tab, friend. I’ve a dwarf and a Rivaini in my back pocket.

@Garryn Aeducan