time stops for no one
None
Loghain strode through the grand archways of the University of Orlais. The stone corridors echoed with the sound of his boots, a stark contrast to the scholarly atmosphere. His steel-gray eyes scanned the throngs of young minds, searching for a familiar face amidst the sea of strangers.

Orlais. The very name of the place had always irked him, with its opulence and vanity, but duty and friendship had drawn him here. He paused to ask a passing student for directions to the medical wing, receiving a startled nod and a quick explanation in return. It seemed even here, far from Ferelden, his reputation preceded him.

He followed the directions precisely and found the area where Rosalie ought to be. A few students exited the room he’d been directed to, he stepped aside and allowed them to pass, then he entered and his eyes scanned the room for Rosalie.

Ah, there you are, this place is a maze. Leave it to the Orlesians to design a building assinine. Of course, the building was no different than a lot of buildings in Ferelden, but Loghain hated Orlais, so any chance to insult the Orlesians and Loghain was quite alright with it.

@Rosalie Rutherford
Rosalie was leaving the library when she spotted Loghain and his everlasting frowning expression. While she was not a close friend of him, she held a lot of admiration for the man who in her opinion was a hero that had made mistakes and tried to amend them.
“Smiling won’t kill you” she said warmly as she approached him with a kind smile “Trust me I am a doctor” she added jokingly.

“I am glad to see you again Loghain and I really appreciate that you made the effort to come here. Normally I would have gone to Ferelden but sadly I am too busy with my research to leave the University” she missed her family terribly and she hadn’t seen Cullen in a while but duty was duty.

“Shall we go to my office? I even have a Mabari portrait to make it feel more homey” she said with a smile “and I have sweets from home.”
Loghain’s stern expression softened just a fraction at Rosalie’s words, though a smile remained elusive. He inclined his head slightly, acknowledging her attempt at humor. Smiling is a luxury I’ve never had much use for, he replied, his tone gruff but not unkind. But I suppose you’re right, Doctor. He liked using Rosalie’s title, he might not be her father, but he was definitely proud of her accomplishments, even if she had chosen an Orlesian school.

He took a moment to assess the young woman before him. He admired her dedication and the warmth she brought to a place he found so distasteful. That she was Cullen’s sister added another layer of respect; he had always valued those who understood the weight of duty, and Rosalie seemed to carry it well.

I’m here because duty calls, he said plainly, his voice firm. And because your brother would likely drag me here himself if he thought it necessary. There was a slight glint in his eyes, an unspoken acknowledgment of the bond he shared with Cullen—a bond forged in war and solidified in the years since the events of Inquisition.

When Rosalie mentioned her office and the Mabari portrait, Loghain’s gaze flicked to the side, a shadow of something softer passing over his features. A Mabari, you say? That’s more comforting than anything else I’ve seen in this city. The mention of sweets, however, earned a skeptical arch of his brow. Sweets you say, well I won’t say no to a sweet or two.

He gestured for her to lead the way, his stance relaxed but still alert, as though he expected trouble to spring from the very walls of the University. Let’s go, then. I’m curious to see how your work is progressing.

As they walked, Loghain allowed himself a brief moment of reflection. He had come to Orlais with purpose, as always, but seeing Rosalie here, in the midst of her work, reminded him of the life he’d chosen—the life he’d sacrificed so much for. He wondered, not for the first time, if it had all been worth it. But such thoughts were quickly dismissed; there was still much to do, and pondering the past had never served him well.

You’ve done well to make this place your own, he said after a moment, his voice quieter. But don’t forget where you come from. It’s easy to lose yourself in the grandeur of Orlais. Ferelden needs people like you, Rosalie. Don’t let this city take that away. It was as close to fatherly advice as Loghain ever got, but the sincerity in his words was unmistakable. He might not show it often, but he cared deeply for those he considered allies—and Rosalie, through her brother, had earned that place in his guarded heart.

He wasn’t happy about the news he had to deliver, and what that would mean for Rosalie, but the rumours out of Orlais weren’t good, and had warranted Loghain being sent in to check on Rosalie and find out for himself what was going on in Val Royeaux.

@Rosalie Rutherford
“Smiling is good for the heart and some Tevinter studies have proved that it’s good for the cardiovascular health so smile will might extend your lifespawn!” it wasn’t a joke, she was a bit unsure about the veracity of the data but recommending people to smile was always a good thing.

“Then it’s a good thing that I have quite the empty schedule today, I am all ears” she said a bit more seriously now. If duty was involved those were major words.
“Someone gifted it to me as a joke but actually now everybody is jealous because I have a cool cute dog portrait on my studio and they have only paintings of Val Royeax” she said as she guided them towards the office.

“I am a Fereldan raised in blight, I know how to make a place home with little” she said with a small smile as she passed Loghain the sweets before offering him a seat. Afterwards she sat next to him, deciding that sitting behind the desk was too formal to speak with a fellow Fereldan “So tell me, why duty calls?”
Loghain listened as Rosalie settled beside him, weighing the right approach for delivering the news. He took a moment to unwrap a sweet, as though the act would somehow make the gravity of his words easier to bear. He knew it wouldn’t, but it gave him a moment to organize his thoughts.

After a brief pause, he began, his voice steady but laced with the seriousness of the situation. Rumors have been swirling out of Orlais, and they’re not just idle gossip. There are two main concerns, both of which could spell disaster if left unchecked.

He leaned forward slightly, his steel-gray eyes meeting hers. First, the wards around Val Royeaux—the very ones that keep the darkspawn at bay—are failing. If those wards break entirely, it’s not just Orlais that’ll suffer. Darkspawn pouring into Val Royeaux could spread across the region, and Ferelden would be next in line. We’ve already endured one Blight; we can’t afford another, especially not with the state Ferelden’s in.

He let that sink in for a moment before continuing, his tone growing even more grave. The second concern is the royal household. There’s trouble brewing within, and from what I’ve gathered, it’s bad enough that some are whispering there’s no one truly leading Orlais anymore. If the rumors are true, the country’s teetering on the edge of chaos, and that kind of instability could make the situation with the wards even worse.

Loghain’s expression darkened as he considered the implications. Without strong leadership, Orlais could collapse under the weight of these two crises. If that happens, it won’t just be Orlais that suffers. The fallout could destabilize the entire region, and Ferelden can’t afford to get dragged into another conflict—not when we’re still recovering from the last one.

He leaned back slightly, his gaze never wavering from Rosalie’s. Your work here is important, Rosalie, but I need you to be vigilant. It may come time that you have to flee Val Royeaux, flee Orlais even, and we don’t want you to be ill-prepared. Of course your siblings would wish you just return home now, but I also understand the work you’re doing here is important, just remember, it’s not more important than your life.

He took another bite of the sweet, letting the taste linger on his tongue for a moment before speaking again. And in the meantime, I’ll try to heed your advice about smiling. If it truly does extend one’s lifespan, perhaps I should practice more often—though I make no promises.

His attempt at lightening the mood was subtle, but the weight of the situation lingered in the air between them. Loghain had seen enough of the world to know that even small cracks could lead to disaster if not addressed swiftly. He wasn’t about to let that happen—not while he still had breath in his body.

@Rosalie Rutherford
Rosalie listened seriously “Vincent hadn’t filled me on the second one but I had heard about the first. We have discussed it even with his sister Maeve, who has a recently born son, Lucien. If the worse comes to happen I will go to where Maeve lives and we will both flee Orlais with the baby” she said in a quiet tone, hoping that it wouldn’t come to that.

“Probably if things go south that way I will go back to Ferelden, I have a friend, Madeline, in West Hills who likely will be able to accommodate us if we have to flee Val Royeaux” in the beginning she had tried to persuade Vincent to flee with them but he had been quite clear about his duty and while it had hurt Rosalie she could understand. She was a civilan and he was a Warden, she had been warned of that their love story was bound to a drastic end.

“So as you can see, I have a back up plan and most of my research I can replicate pretty much anywhere, the university gave me the resources but I do have my notes with me” she said, sadness clear in her face. There was something in the conversation that made her aware of how real the possibility of her current life being torn was.

“Well you know what they said, if a doctor says it likely it’s right” she said with a chuckle “and what are your plans Loghain? Which is your role in…this?” she said trying to fit the complexity of the situation in a word.
Loghain listened closely to Rosalie’s plans, his expression softened slightly by her thoughtfulness and foresight. He admired her pragmatism, her willingness to face such grim possibilities head-on rather than ignoring them. It was rare to find such a quality in someone so young, and he respected her all the more for it.

Good. It sounds like you’re as prepared as anyone can be for a situation as precarious as this, he replied, nodding approvingly. If the time does come for you to flee, remember you have allies who’ll do everything in their power to ensure you reach safety. And don’t hesitate—hesitation is deadly in times like these.

He paused, considering her question, his gaze hardening with the resolve that had carried him through countless battles. As for me, well… I’m here to assess how dire the situation really is, to see what measures are actually being put in place. There’s too much at stake to leave it to chance or trust half-heard rumors. If it’s as bad as I fear, my role will be to help strategize Orlais’ defenses. We’ve no choice but to hold the line if the darkspawn threaten another march across Thedas.

Loghain leaned back, taking a deep breath, as if preparing for battle all over again. But beyond that, I’m here to make sure our people don’t get caught in Orlais’ mess. You and Cullen, Maeve and her son… all of you have a place in Ferelden, far from the political games and constant turmoil of this place. And if I have any say in it, that’s exactly where you’ll stay.

He lifted his gaze to meet hers, the steel in his eyes tempered by a faint hint of something gentler. I know the work you’re doing here matters to you. But I came to remind you that sometimes survival—of yourself, of the people who need you—matters more. Don’t let Orlais draw you into a sacrifice that’s not yours to make.

He softened, almost imperceptibly, offering her a rare look of encouragement. You’ve made us all proud, Rosalie. Don’t forget that. And if you need anything—anything at all—you know where to find me.

@Rosalie Rutherford