time stops for no one
None
Loghain’s stern expression softened just a fraction at Rosalie’s words, though a smile remained elusive. He inclined his head slightly, acknowledging her attempt at humor. Smiling is a luxury I’ve never had much use for, he replied, his tone gruff but not unkind. But I suppose you’re right, Doctor. He liked using Rosalie’s title, he might not be her father, but he was definitely proud of her accomplishments, even if she had chosen an Orlesian school.

He took a moment to assess the young woman before him. He admired her dedication and the warmth she brought to a place he found so distasteful. That she was Cullen’s sister added another layer of respect; he had always valued those who understood the weight of duty, and Rosalie seemed to carry it well.

I’m here because duty calls, he said plainly, his voice firm. And because your brother would likely drag me here himself if he thought it necessary. There was a slight glint in his eyes, an unspoken acknowledgment of the bond he shared with Cullen—a bond forged in war and solidified in the years since the events of Inquisition.

When Rosalie mentioned her office and the Mabari portrait, Loghain’s gaze flicked to the side, a shadow of something softer passing over his features. A Mabari, you say? That’s more comforting than anything else I’ve seen in this city. The mention of sweets, however, earned a skeptical arch of his brow. Sweets you say, well I won’t say no to a sweet or two.

He gestured for her to lead the way, his stance relaxed but still alert, as though he expected trouble to spring from the very walls of the University. Let’s go, then. I’m curious to see how your work is progressing.

As they walked, Loghain allowed himself a brief moment of reflection. He had come to Orlais with purpose, as always, but seeing Rosalie here, in the midst of her work, reminded him of the life he’d chosen—the life he’d sacrificed so much for. He wondered, not for the first time, if it had all been worth it. But such thoughts were quickly dismissed; there was still much to do, and pondering the past had never served him well.

You’ve done well to make this place your own, he said after a moment, his voice quieter. But don’t forget where you come from. It’s easy to lose yourself in the grandeur of Orlais. Ferelden needs people like you, Rosalie. Don’t let this city take that away. It was as close to fatherly advice as Loghain ever got, but the sincerity in his words was unmistakable. He might not show it often, but he cared deeply for those he considered allies—and Rosalie, through her brother, had earned that place in his guarded heart.

He wasn’t happy about the news he had to deliver, and what that would mean for Rosalie, but the rumours out of Orlais weren’t good, and had warranted Loghain being sent in to check on Rosalie and find out for himself what was going on in Val Royeaux.

@Rosalie Rutherford

Messages In This Thread
time stops for no one - by Loghain Mac Tir - 06-25-2024, 02:48 PM
RE: time stops for no one - by Rosalie Rutherford - 08-16-2024, 05:53 AM
RE: time stops for no one - by Loghain Mac Tir - 08-17-2024, 01:43 PM
RE: time stops for no one - by Rosalie Rutherford - 08-20-2024, 03:18 PM
RE: time stops for no one - by Loghain Mac Tir - 08-22-2024, 05:16 PM
RE: time stops for no one - by Maika Arainai - 10-12-2024, 07:40 AM
RE: time stops for no one - by Loghain Mac Tir - 10-14-2024, 12:49 PM