Randomness redefined
None
Wyatt was caught off guard by the warm embrace, his arms instinctively wrapping around Rosalie as she pulled him in. For a moment, he simply stood there, breathing in the familiar scent of her hair, feeling the softness of her against him. It was like being pulled back in time, to a place where things were simpler, where he hadn’t yet made all the choices that led him down the path he was on now. But that moment of comfort quickly gave way to the reality of the situation, and as she pulled back, he found himself grappling with the flood of emotions her presence stirred up.

Her smile was contagious, and despite everything, Wyatt felt a small grin tugging at the corners of his lips. She had always had that effect on him, even when they were younger, even when he was trying his damnedest to act like nothing got under his skin. But now, standing here in the middle of West Hills, all he could think about was how much had changed since then—how much he had changed.

He chuckled, a low, rough sound that held more nerves than humor. Heh, yeah, time does that, I guess, he replied, his voice tinged with a bit of that old swagger, though it was more forced than natural. But I ain’t just grown taller, Rosie. I’ve been… well, let’s just say I’ve been around.

Wyatt tipped his hat slightly, a familiar gesture, but there was an awkwardness to it now, like he wasn’t quite sure how to be around her anymore. The easy confidence he usually wore like a second skin felt brittle in her presence, like it could crack at any moment. He shoved his hands into his pockets, trying to keep the tension out of his shoulders as he looked down at her.

Don’t worry ‘bout the hug, I could use a few more of those these days, he said, his tone softening as he looked at her, really looked at her. She was still the same Rosalie he remembered, but there was something different too, something in her eyes that spoke of experiences and pain he didn’t know about. And then it hit him—she wasn’t just the girl he used to know; she was a mother now. He’d heard whispers about her having a child, but seeing her in person, he could sense the change in her.

The realization sent a pang through his chest. He had so many questions, so many things he wanted to say, but he didn’t know where to start. What could he say that wouldn’t dredge up all the things he wasn’t ready to face?

I, uh… I heard you were back in town. Didn’t think I’d actually run into you, though. Guess the Maker has a sense of humor, huh?

He tried to sound casual, but there was a vulnerability in his eyes that betrayed him. This wasn’t just a random encounter for him—it was the one thing he’d been avoiding and hoping for all at once. The part of him that had never stopped caring about Rosalie wanted to reach out, to reconnect, but the part of him that knew he wasn’t the man she once knew was terrified of what might happen if he did.

You look… good, Rosie. Better than I expected, with everything that’s been goin’ on. How’ve you been holdin’ up?

It was a simple question, but one that carried so much weight. He wasn’t sure he was ready to hear the answer, but he knew he owed it to her to ask.

@Rosalie Rutherford

Messages In This Thread
Randomness redefined - by Wyatt Aldridge - 08-17-2024, 01:56 PM
RE: Randomness redefined - by Rosalie Rutherford - 08-21-2024, 01:54 AM
RE: Randomness redefined - by Wyatt Aldridge - 08-21-2024, 07:52 AM
RE: Randomness redefined - by Rosalie Rutherford - 10-12-2024, 08:12 AM
RE: Randomness redefined - by Wyatt Aldridge - 10-14-2024, 01:00 PM