That’s the price of secrecy
Shenanigans will ensue, no telling how crazy it could get
Ruth’s lips curled into a wry smile as he leaned back, eyes momentarily drifting away from Horus's concerned gaze. Yeah, those Wardens… He sighed, the weight of recent events pressing on him. It’s a funny story, actually. I was trying to get access to this old library, see if I could dig up anything useful. The place was locked up tight, but you know me, I’ve got a knack for finding ways into places.

He paused, fingers absentmindedly tracing the edge of his mug. So, there I was, just minding my own business when a Warden falls out of the sky. She’d been on a ladder. Caught her. Another one shows up - big, grizzled, and not exactly in the mood for chit-chat. Me, being clever, stammered about ‘helping hands’. I figured it’d earn me a favor or two. Ruth let out a bitter chuckle. Turns out, this guy didn’t appreciate me stepping in. Said I was meddling, trying to show him up. Next thing I know, I’m on the receiving end of some choice words and next I know there’s steel and blood and I’ve lost an eye.

He waved off the memory with a dismissive hand. It’s nothing. I’m fine, really. Just tired. Gods was he tired. Lately, it feels like I’ve been a magnet for every black cloud in the sky. Seems like trouble’s got my scent, and it’s been following me everywhere I go, like a fuckin’ curse, but I don’t know which witch has cast it, if any.

Ruth's gaze met Horus's, a flicker of uncertainty in his eyes before he quickly masked it with a usual forced grin. But don’t worry about it. I’m more worried about that storm cloud sticking with us on this trip. Last thing we need is another mess to clean up. The wedding still loomed and there was enough still to do that could go very wrong.

He lifted his mug, a silent toast to better days. Let’s not let the Wardens or anything else ruin our night, yeah? We’ve got enough on our plates without inviting more trouble. Here’s to smoother sailing ahead. Ruth’s grin turned genuine as he tried to steer the conversation back to lighter topics, eager to leave the shadows of his recent troubles behind, if only for a little while.

@Horus

Messages In This Thread
That’s the price of secrecy - by Horus - 06-18-2024, 11:33 AM
RE: That’s the price of secrecy - by Horus - 06-25-2024, 02:44 PM
RE: That’s the price of secrecy - by Horus - 07-02-2024, 08:06 AM
RE: That’s the price of secrecy - by Horus - 07-08-2024, 09:24 AM
RE: That’s the price of secrecy - by Horus - 08-06-2024, 08:50 AM
RE: That’s the price of secrecy - by Horus - 08-12-2024, 03:15 PM
RE: That’s the price of secrecy - by Ruth Yoesif - 08-21-2024, 03:01 PM
RE: That’s the price of secrecy - by Horus - 08-22-2024, 05:15 PM
RE: That’s the price of secrecy - by Horus - 10-14-2024, 01:27 PM