And in her smile I see something more beautiful than the stars.
None
Rian nodded, acknowledging Ely's words with a soft, thoughtful expression. Her use of the word "peers" felt like a safe choice, a neutral term that downplayed the complexity of their relationship. But he couldn’t shake the feeling that there was something more between them, something deeper than just a shared sense of duty.

Of course, I’d do the same for you, without hesitation, he replied, his voice steady and sincere. We look out for each other, that’s how it’s always been. And how it always will be.

He appreciated her offer to continue researching, the hope of finding something to help him control the beast within him. But more than that, he appreciated her presence—her support at a time when he felt more alone and scared than he had ever been.

I guess I do owe you a big one,] he said, allowing a small, rueful smile to touch his lips. [q]But you know I’m good for it, whatever you need.

Her dismissal of his gratitude didn’t go unnoticed, but he chose to let it slide for now. He could sense a shift in her, a subtle change that made him wonder if there was more she wasn’t saying. But for now, he was grateful—grateful for her help, for her promise of discretion, and for the quiet understanding that passed between them.

Thank you, Ely, he repeated, his tone softer this time. I mean it. You’ve always been there when I needed someone the most. I just hope I can return the favor someday, in a way that truly matters.

@Aelynthi Loraronna

Messages In This Thread
RE: And in her smile I see something more beautiful than the stars. - by Rian Bradigan - 08-22-2024, 05:22 PM