And in her smile I see something more beautiful than the stars.
None
Rian couldn’t help but notice the brief flicker of something in Ely’s expression—a hint of discomfort quickly masked by her usual playful demeanor. It was subtle, but Rian had always been good at reading people, especially those he cared about. Still, he let it pass, deciding not to press her on it. There were enough heavy things on his mind already, and he didn’t want to add to them.

You’re probably right, he replied with a soft chuckle, picking up on her playful tone. But you know me—I’m nothing if not overly generous with my promises. If you ever do decide to cash in, just know I’ll deliver, no matter what it is. Even if it’s just a good bottle of wine or a cozy coat to get you through another Ferelden winter.

Rian appreciated Ely’s attempt to lighten the mood, and it worked, if only a little. The weight of their conversation still hung between them, but her humor eased some of the tension in his chest. He knew she was trying to protect him in her own way, even if it meant deflecting with jokes.

When she mentioned not getting too attached, Rian’s expression softened into something more serious. He met her gaze, his eyes reflecting the sincerity of his words.

Ely, I don’t think I could ever not be attached, no matter how long you’re here or what happens next, he admitted quietly. You’ve been a constant for me when everything else felt like it was falling apart. I know you like to keep your distance, but you should know by now that I’m stubborn. He offered a small, wry smile, trying to convey the depth of his appreciation without making things too heavy.

So, if you ever decide to move on, I’ll understand. But until then, you’re stuck with me. I’m not going anywhere.

He glanced away briefly, taking a deep breath before looking back at her. And for what it’s worth, I hope you do stick around for a while. We’ve still got a lot of winters to get through, and I can’t think of anyone better to share them with.

@Aelynthi Loraronna

Messages In This Thread
RE: And in her smile I see something more beautiful than the stars. - by Rian Bradigan - 09-01-2024, 06:39 PM