A perfect pizza
None
Madeline listened carefully to Mara, her expression solemn but thoughtful. The Arlessa's concerns mirrored her own, and it was clear that both leaders were grappling with the same difficult realities. The memory of Ferelden’s own refugee crisis during the Fifth Blight was a painful one, and it gave Madeline a deeper understanding of what the Orlesians were facing now.

You’re right, Madeline agreed, her tone measured. The strain on resources is going to be immense, and shelter will be one of our biggest challenges. I’ve seen it in West Hills already—makeshift camps springing up on the outskirts of towns, people huddled together with barely enough to keep them warm through the nights. It’s unsustainable. And as you said, the coming winter will only make things worse.

She leaned back slightly, her gaze drifting momentarily to the fountain before returning to Mara. We need to approach this with both short-term and long-term solutions. In the immediate future, we could repurpose some of the unused buildings in Denerim—warehouses, perhaps, or even large halls that could be temporarily converted into shelters. It wouldn’t be comfortable, but it would be safer than the streets. We can also look into establishing more formal refugee camps on the outskirts of the city. They would need to be well-guarded, of course, to prevent the kind of criminal exploitation you mentioned.

Madeline’s brow furrowed as she considered the broader implications. In the long term, though, we have to think about how we’ll integrate these people into Ferelden. They may not be able to return to Orlais for years, if ever, and we can’t expect them to live in temporary conditions indefinitely. We need to find ways to employ them, to make sure they can contribute to the communities they’re living in. Otherwise, tensions will only grow, and we risk creating a situation where they’re resented by the locals—or worse, exploited by the nobility.

She paused, her expression softening as she added, I know this won’t be easy, and I don’t pretend to have all the answers. But if we can work together, I believe we can find a way forward. I’ve already started coordinating with some of the other arls and banns, and I think it would be helpful if we could present a unified front. If the people see that we’re working together—acting with compassion but also with pragmatism—it may help ease some of the fears they have about the Orlesians.

Madeline offered Mara a small, encouraging smile. We both know how important leadership is in times like these. The people will look to us for guidance, and it’s up to us to show them the way. I’m confident we can do that, even if it means making some difficult decisions.

@Mara Tabris

Messages In This Thread
A perfect pizza - by Madeline Wulff - 08-21-2024, 07:48 AM
RE: A perfect pizza - by Mara Tabris - 08-21-2024, 02:39 PM
RE: A perfect pizza - by Madeline Wulff - 08-22-2024, 05:20 PM
RE: A perfect pizza - by Mara Tabris - 09-13-2024, 01:38 PM
RE: A perfect pizza - by Madeline Wulff - 10-01-2024, 08:26 AM
RE: A perfect pizza - by Mara Tabris - 10-21-2024, 10:59 AM
RE: A perfect pizza - by Madeline Wulff - 10-25-2024, 12:04 PM