Well, Damn! I Didn't Expect That for a Homecoming
Parental Death, Grief
Any further talk of his predicament with Nairn just sailed right over Haulean's head, as he was too panicked to continue it. He was supposed to have left, the night he and Nairn last spoke. But he hadn't. He'd disobeyed and stayed in his bunk. So yes, the boy thought he was about to be hauled away and sent off for good.

Thus, when the door opened, the boy hid well behind Colt, only barely peeking out from behind him so he could see just whom his jailor was. His brain still hadn't registered that this was a friend, and one that was at least slightly familiar to him, at that. Thus, he was not expecting to see... well.

To be perfectly frank, he was expecting someone scarier. Funny, since the voice that had preceded the face had not been particularly scary or mean. It was just his inner panic, expecting a mean, imposing boogeyman to come take him away... even after Colt had called him a healer, called him by name, and invited him in.

Haulean would have been perfectly content to continue the conversation from where he stood, but Colt started extricating himself from the boy's clutching hands, and made the petite half-elf turn to face the intruder, despite feeble efforts to stay put. Haulean wasn't the strongest on a good, healthy day, let alone after at least a couple of days worth of refusing meals and crying himself into exhaustion.

Rabbit still huddled back against Colt, as much as he was allowed, eyeing the other male -however pretty and approachable-looking- with wariness... and maybe a touch of innocent confusion after the repartee between Ruth and Colt regarding being dragged out by his ears. He didn't get it at all. He just... hesitantly reached up to cover his ears protectively.

At least... until the gent flat out stated he wasn't taking him away. Only then did the boy lower his hands... just in time to let out an unexpected half-giggle at his... at Nairn being called an idiot. Still. He quickly schooled his face back to what was supposed to be neutral, but was more than likely still untrusting and afraid. He didn't like the idea of being 'picked up' to go anywhere. That still sounded like it entailed leaving his safe place.

Haulean's hands began fidgeting with one another. He was at odds with himself. He wanted to trust him. He seemed nice. And even Colt was speaking in his favor. Never did he ever think Colt would lie to him. And... he... it just wasn't in his nature to really distrust people, much to most of the C's chagrin. He was just so scared. He felt like he was about to have a meltdown, due to his anxiety and uncertainty. His breathing had already hitched up a few notches in pace, and the fidgeting became more agitated.

"I... I need... c-can we just... I... don't..." He wanted to talk, but he didn't want to go anywhere. He needed to be comforted but he was afraid to ask for it. He knew he needed to calm down or he'd become non-verbal and a frantic mess, but what calmed him best was reassuring touch, and right now did not seem the time to seek it. He wished Yoonjie were there... He often knew what was needed without words; but he was away on a job.

"Y-you just... w-we... n-need... I..." he shook his head, one arm crossing over his chest to almost hug himself, and the other hand shakily lifting to cup the back of his own head, awkwardly smoothing at his hair with his eyes shut tight. He was trying to self-soothe and it wasn't quite working, but he would try. He was grown... he had to try to act grown... didn't he? Well. This probably wasn't acting very grown.

@Meg

Messages In This Thread
RE: Well, Damn! I Didn't Expect That for a Homecoming - by Haulean Oruven - 10-21-2024, 10:40 AM