Medicine and Hauntings, Such a Lovely Divide
Fear, open water, the dark
Relief melted through her as she heard Nolan's voice call out in the space between them, getting a rope ready to tie their two ships together as she could hear the gentle sluice of water grow fainter as the two ships met there on the open sea. It was something she would never be able to forget, as long as she was alive, the thrill of seeing someone materialize out of the darkness, and then the clandestine. She had been raised to be accustom to the violence, to the truly bad parts of life, it was part of being what she had been. But when she had finally, finally bought her way free, she knew there would still be blood price to play after. She'd never truly be free. She'd be called back in for things like this, over and over again.

But with Nolan, this was something she knew that she needed to be a part of. The Crows had been responsible for so much happening in the Marches here lately, that she felt it was something she had to do, had to slip back into the more savory bits of her trade to make amends. Penance. She would pay penance where she could. She couldn't wash her hands of all the murders, a ledger dripping red with blood, but she could do small things like this to try and make those amends where she could. Oh, you know me, any time I can fuck someone over who really, truly deserves it, the call is too much to deny.

Her mouth settled into a playful smirk as she sat back down on the bench of her boat, watching him work. He should have been retired too, the both of them. They reached an age most people never got to, especially people in their field of work. That should have been enough to let the both of them spend time doing something more than this. But, he was like her, there was too much debt left to the world to rest yet. I like it here, the cove has a sandbar so no one can really charge me from the sea without knowing the tide schedule, and, only you and I know where the stair case is, and getting to it is a bitch. There's fields around the cottage, no where really to hide that can be scouted easily before hand. I can see someone coming for almost a mile in any direction, gives me more than enough time to get ready to fight if I need too. As for the demons and spirits, I ignore them for the most part. You used to hunt them though, didn't you Nolan, or something like that? They traded quips like this, back and forth when they were contacts for one another, sometimes it was someone else, but most of the time it was him.

I got a debt to pay still. I may have bought my freedom, but it doesn't make up for what I had to take to buy it. Simple as that. As long as she felt like she owed someone, she would get pulled out of retirement until she was in the grave.

@Nolan Reid

Messages In This Thread
RE: Medicine and Hauntings, Such a Lovely Divide - by Celine Vonn - 06-15-2024, 01:01 PM