relaxing rain
Rain tapped on the glass, an inviting sound that drew Charlotte out of bed and to the window. She'd yet to venture outside the halls of the reconstructed circle, at least not when it had been raining. Such days reserved for relearning what her magic could do, how to write again, to interact with the world as someone new.

Today she intended to change that. Despite the early hour and grey skies. Venturing out in naught but her plain dressing gown and bare feet.

Stepping into the rain felt new. Different. Eyes closed as she smiled, tipping her head up toward the bleak sky above. Water droplets sliding down her skin, soaking into her hair and garment.

Amazing to relearn all the things she'd taken for granted before. And how the sensations could be so different.
It had indeed been a long day with a daunting to-do list. Being the new guy in town had thrust him into the spotlight, attracting more attention than he had anticipated. Nonetheless, he remained resolute in his commitment to build meaningful connections with the people he had met. But as the days passed, his dedication to studying old books and solving magical mysteries often pulled him away from social interactions."I do it to be better prepared to help," he reassures himself like a bard singing the same dang song, over, and over again. But couldn't help it, he always ended up unintentionally distancing himself from others.

Honestly, if I keep this up, I'll disappear, he lamented, genuinely worried about the direction his life was taking. The drastic changes had left him feeling adrift in unfamiliar waters, trying to navigate this new existence.

Then, as if scripted by fate, he saw her, a woman standing in the rain. It felt simple, a sensation he rarely experienced anymore. All he wanted was to join her in the rain, to embrace the uncomplicated joy. And without hesitation, he stepped into the rain, leaving behind the complexities of his day in exchange for the simple pleasure of the moment.
The rain felt cool on her skin, soft and comforting despite the chill. A light breeze ruffled her long, blonde hair as it hung behind her. Perhaps she'd regret this trip into the rain later, but she wasn't about to ruin this moment by thinking of that. There was time, now, time to leave the worries for later. Charlotte intended to take what moments she could now to relax. Enjoy the world as new sensations prickled her senses.

Opening her eyes, movement caught her attention. Ah, it seemed she was not alone. Lowering her chin again, she looked to see who it was. Curious who else might be up and about.

And the one she saw was unexpected.

Blinking a few times to ensure it wasn't some trick of the eye, the smile returned to her lips.

Jareth, she greeted, the smile dipping into her tone. Pleased to see someone she'd known in the past. Forgetting herself, that he might not recognize who she appeared to be now.
The rain poured down in a soothing rhythm, creating a tranquil ambiance as it danced upon the leaves and glistened on the pavement. Some might describe each drop as sharp, cold daggers, but to Jareth, it felt like a refreshing embrace from nature itself. As the rain continued its gentle descent, Jareth began to experience a profound connection with the world around him. The overwhelming changes and chaos of life seemed to dissolve into the background, replaced by a deep sense of peace and belonging. He realized that, no matter how tumultuous the world became, the rain would always be the rain, a constant reminder of the enduring beauty of nature.

Lost in this moment of serene surrender, Jareth spun slowly amidst the downpour, arms outstretched, becoming one with the now. The simplicity of existence became a profound truth, and he found solace in the knowledge that he was just able to enjoy the outside. Something that wouldn't be possible to do back in Kinloch Hold. 

Eventually, he came to a halt and acknowledged the figure standing nearby, a kindling spirit getting herself rain-soaked. She gazed back at him with eyes that seemed to hold a secret, and a soft smile touched her lips. Then, to Jareth's surprise, she uttered his name with a tone that held a sense of deep familiarity. Yet, he couldn't recall ever meeting her before.

I'm sorry, he said, his voice filled with curiosity, do I know you?
All at once it returned to Charlotte. No, of course he was confused. Of course he did not know why she was happy to see him, so easily spoke his name.

Maker, forgive me, I forgot... she trailed off, offering a now awkward smile. It's Charlotte.

Rain beaded down her forehead, rolling to drip off the tip of her nose. It still felt good, but then a chill had also crept into the air. Perhaps it was the awkward feeling. The sudden recollection and reminder of all that had happened.

After a moment, she held up her rain soaked hands. I know, I know, I hardly look like me. But... it is me, now. A hint of sadness stung the last of her words, even as she tried to push it away. Remind herself that this was a gift, not to be scorned or even to feel sorrow over.

We can go inside to speak, if you'd prefer, she gestured back toward where she'd come from. There were rags in her room she could fetch to dry them both with.I can explain what happened.
Jareth's confusion faded as he listened to the woman's words, and a sense of recognition began to wash over him. The name Charlotte struck a chord in his memory, and as she continued to speak, he started to put the pieces together.

Charlotte, he repeated her name, this time with a hint of realization in his voice. It took him a moment to fully grasp the significance of the situation. He remembered her, a teacher, a friend. But the woman standing before him was vastly different from the person he had known.
He studied her, seeing the changes that had transformed her into a new form, and he couldn't help but feel a mix of emotions—surprise, curiosity, and a touch of uncertainty.

I... don't know, he said gently. I can scarcely believe what I'm hearing.

Yes, he would like to hear what happened if there was any truth to this stranger's claim. But how to approach this, should he follow her, or run away? In the end, all he could do was nod. His body moved on its own, following her steps, and although he did not realize it, he hoped out loud, please, Maker, let it be true.
Charlotte gave as reassuring a smile as she could. I know, I could hardly believe it myself. It had been a bit of time now and she was still trying to come to terms with the whole matter. But this was always the worst part, in her mind. The reintroductions. The explanations. Trying to convince people this wasn't some horrific blood magic ritual that had been performed. But also trying to ensure only select people knew, so it could be retained as a secret a while longer.

Till it was confirmed she and Vivienne would be safe. Whenever that might be.

When it was clear Jareth would come with her, she lead him at a moderate clip back toward her room. Rummaging in a trunk near the foot of her bed, she produced a couple rags. She tossed one at him, not bothering to look and see if he was paying attention to catch it or not - or if he was even the last place she'd seen him from the corner of her eye.

Slowly, she began to towel herself off. Exposed skin first, then her hair. Finally, she let out a slow breath and looked to Jareth.

Have you met Akibrus yet? As if that would somehow explain everything. After giving enough pause for her friend to answer, she continued. I was... not entirely gone when I was found. But my body, my... old body was far beyond what any healers could salvage. It still hurt to talk about it. Because she remembered it. Before it all went black.

I'm told he was able to capture my spirit, my... essence within an amulet. She gestured toward the one about her neck, even if it wasn't a match for the one she referred to. This merely kept her free of a spirit - or demon - companion. Like this one. I remember the blood, the pain, collapsing as things faded in and out around me. But I don't remember much after that. It was all black, but... darker somehow. I'm... not sure how to explain it. Until one day I woke up. Could see again.

She set her rag down on top of the trunk and moved to perch on the ledge of the window. I thought they'd found a way to heal me, but... a tranquil had lost her mind. It broke when the Veil came down and she was naught but a husk. A shell that could do little, and so I was given an opportunity few others are allowed after you're supposed to... well, die. .
Jareth, still in a state of shock, fumbled with the rag like a novice juggler suddenly handed a set of flaming torches. It slipped through his fingers with all the grace of a wet bar of soap, and he embarked on an impromptu, slightly comical dance to intercept it before it hit the floor. His expression, initially a portrait of shock, transformed into a mild embarrassment, his cheeks tinged with a hue that mirrored the color of the rag. A sheepish chuckle escaped his lips, a non-verbal admission of his momentary lack of coordination.

Once finally secured in his grasp, Jareth attacked his soaked hair with a mixture of enthusiasm and gaucheness, resembling a wet dog enthusiastically shaking off rain. Water droplets became a spray of tiny, rebellious rebels, each one attempting an escape into freedom.

That's... that's quite a lot to take in, he admitted between awkward tugs at his hair, his eyes narrowing slightly as if trying to dissect the complex puzzle laid before him. So, your current body isn't your original one, but rather a vessel for your spirit? And this Akibrus person orchestrated this... transfer? His words spilled out, a mix of disbelief and a genuine attempt to unravel the intricacies of Charlotte's extraordinary tale.
Charlotte watched as Jareth dried himself off, trying to supress a smile of amusement. It helped to be able to focus on attempting to explain her situation. Which was difficult, at best. Impossible, at worst. She tried to make it understandable. Or, at least as much as it could be made to make sense. It seemed things once thought fantasy were now reality with the lack of the Veil in place.

Fingers clasping around the cold stone she sat on, she leaned forward and nodded to Jareth's summation. I'd say you about have it. That's even, perhaps, a more eloquent way to put it. She leaned back again with a smile, letting out a slight chuckle. So thank you for that.

Enough about me, though! What brings you here? How have you been faring?
One of his eyebrows arched as he felt a surge of curiosity, compelling him to seek more information. However, a sense of restraint lingered within him, suggesting that perhaps it wasn't the opportune moment to inquire further, nor was the individual he intended to ask the right person to approach about the matter.

He crossed his arms, averting his gaze from hers, a subtle tension evident in his posture. Well, I've been okay, he started, his voice trailing off. I've made a lot of friends here, he continued, his words carrying a weight of significance as he hoped she would recall his fondness for spirits. Maybe he felt confident enough in their connection, in what they had been through together, or perhaps it was a test of her memory, a measure of her identity and success of the spell that wove her back to life. But with the veil torn down, things have been he paused, reconsidering his words, different.
A brief frown flicked across Charlotte's features as he seemed to clam up at her question. She hadn't thought it was so intrusive to warrant such a reaction. She merely wanted to know how he was faring, how things had been for him since they'd last parted ways. Were things so terrible? But no, no. She couldn't let her mind race off like that. Let him speak. She reminded herself.

The smile returned to her lips as he mentioned making friends. The type of friends, perhaps, remained to be seen. But then these were different times than they once were. He even went on to add that himself and she nodded. That they are.

After a moment, a thought struck her and she went over to the desk. Rummaging through some papers sticking out of her old book, she made a small noise of victory when she found what she desired. Turning back to Jareth, she grinned at him as she approached and held out the small bundle of papers.

I've been taking notes since I've... come back, she explained. Observations on the changes, interactions with some spirits. I think this will be served better in your hands, my friend.

@Jareth
His eyes gleamed like stars in a lightless city. Jareth's eyes widened slightly as he accepted the bundle, his fingers brushing against hers briefly. He looked down at the papers, a mixture of curiosity and gratitude flickering across his face.

Thank you, Charlotte, he said, his voice softening. This means a lot. I…

His shoulders relaxed, and a sense of ease washed over him. Very little people know and understand exactly what he is trying to accomplish. People fear what they do not understand, and this scrawny guy is trying to brave through the foreign, and make it known. However ever since the veil was torn, it complicated things. Whatever little he did to close the gaps between spirits and the living now seem meaningless. At the same time, they are even closer to each other. Its frustrating… Now there are just more questions.

I really do appreciate this. He said with a warm smile. Unable to contain his excitement.
Charlotte couldn't hold back a tickled grin at seeing how much he lit up at the gesture. It felt as if so much in the world was dark, depressing even. And to see the light creep back onto someone's face was worth more than any gold.

Of course, my friend! A smile still settled across her features. I can think of no mage better to pass it on to.

After a few moments of silence, and glancing out the window, she turned her attention back to Jareth. I have an idea - if you're not busy, of course - I can show you where I was when I took some of those notes. She inclined her head toward the pages he now held.

Glancing to the window and back again, she added: Perhaps when the rain passes? If you'd like to stay and sort through my notes, I'm happy to have the company.
Jareth's eyes brightened at Charlotte's words, touched by her kindness. On such a gloomy day, warmth found its way into his heart. It's so rare to find good help, he thought, but rarer still to find a friend. His eyes watered; he had thought he'd lost all the friends he had left to the wars. That sounds wonderful, Jareth said with a smile. Sharing knowledge and good company is always time well spent, especially on a rainy day. His gaze drifted to the window, considering the peaceful atmosphere outside, before turning back to Charlotte, grateful for the opportunity to connect over shared interests.
Charlotte beamed at Jareth, glad he liked her idea. By all means, my friend, make yourself comfortable. She gave a vague gesture about the room. It wasn't much, but there was a desk he could sit at, or even on the bed. She'd grab her own notes and take the spot he didn't occupy.

Periodically, she'd glance to the window, or glance over to Jareth. A few thoughts and questions bubbled to the forefront of her mind, but in the end she kept quiet. If he was focused on the notes she'd taken, she didn't want to interrupt.

Only when she'd note the passing of the rain would she say something, and start gathering up some things for the trip. It wasn't terribly far, but she didn't want to go without supplies. It would never do to travel anywhere unprepared - especially with how unpredictable things could be now with the Veil gone.