Medicine and Hauntings, Such a Lovely Divide
Fear, open water, the dark
Celine had rowed her little dingy into the makeshift harbor in the cliffs below her cottage, acutely aware of the sandbar and how at low tide it would trap her in the area with the boat -- she had to be aware of the time, better than most, the sun still high in the sky. Maneuvering into place, she loaded the cargo that had been left in her cave, into the boat, and then sat in the cave, smoking her pipe until the tide came back a little after midnight. Her back ached from the load, and she was trying her best to ignore the chuckling she thought she heard deeper inside the pitch black, the tendrils of dark creeping closer to her as time passed, and her small fire died down.

Normally, a simple smuggling job like this she wouldn't have ever taken on, she was retired after all, but healing droughts and potions didn't magically appear for some like they did for others, so getting some goods into hands that wouldn't price gouge those that needed them the most, was enough to pull her semi-back into the fold. At least this time she was a free contractor, no affiliation meant she didn't have to turn away a solid job just because of who held the chain of her collar.

Retired, she thought, as she swore she felt a rush of air at her back, as if someone was drawing closer -- haunted. Something about thinness and Fades, whatever the hell that meant, she had no care to find out, and as long as these spectors couldn't hurt her, she gave zero fucks about them trying to scare her. She had spent far to long being the thing in the dark others were afraid of, to be very afraid of the dark herself. So when the time came for her to scuff out her small camp fire and climb back into her dingy and row out into open water, with only the light of the moon to guide her, she didn't hesitate.

No, she buried the simple fire in sand and ignored what felt like a phantom set of fingers trying to pull at her hair. Fuck off. was the only sign that she acknowledged that there was something there, in the dark, as her eyes adjusted to the pitch, and she started to row out into the water, humming an old shanty to herself as she went.

Celine felt at ease on the water, knew it was good for showing a person just how small they were in the grand scheme of things, and there off the coast under the cliff of Bastion, she was a tiny little ant in the sense of the whole of the world. And as soon as her contact showed up, and took the cargo, the better. Now half past two in the morning, she laid back in her seat, watching the dots of light on the distant horizon. Houses scattered along the shore, houses like hers, though, probably not overrun with demons and spirits that tried to make themselves know to her. A rogue by trade, Celine cared little for the possessors of mages.

But the quiet hiss of a boat cutting through water, soon enough had her standing in the dingy, her contact had arrived, or, so she hoped. She could fight her way out of a situation, but she really didn't want to give up her new home. It was such a lovely place after all.
As Nolan's boat cut through the still waters, he saw the faint glow of Celine's dinghy ahead, her silhouette unmistakable even in the dim light. He appreciated the sense of calm that radiated from her, a stark contrast to the foreboding cliffs and the eerie quiet of the cove. Rowing closer, he called out softly to announce his presence.

Celine, it's Nolan, he said, keeping his voice low but clear. I've come for the shipment.

He guided his boat alongside hers, reaching out to help steady the small vessel. Looks like you've been busy, he noted, glancing at the cargo she had loaded. Glad to see you’re still as resourceful as ever.

He hopped into her boat with practiced ease, his presence a familiar and reassuring one. "I'll take care of the heavy lifting, he offered, noting the way she moved, clearly feeling the strain of her efforts. You rest a bit. We've got time before we need to head out.

As he began to transfer the cargo to his boat, Nolan kept an eye on the shadows flickering at the edge of the cave. He'd heard the stories, the whispers of spirits and specters that haunted these cliffs, but he was more concerned about the living threats that could emerge from the darkness.

You know, you really picked a prime spot for a haunted getaway, he joked lightly. But then again, I guess it takes more than a few ghosts to rattle you.

He glanced back at her, a hint of a smile on his lips. Retirement doesn't seem to suit you, Celine. But I’m glad you’re still willing to help out when it counts. People need those supplies.

@Celine Vonn
Relief melted through her as she heard Nolan's voice call out in the space between them, getting a rope ready to tie their two ships together as she could hear the gentle sluice of water grow fainter as the two ships met there on the open sea. It was something she would never be able to forget, as long as she was alive, the thrill of seeing someone materialize out of the darkness, and then the clandestine. She had been raised to be accustom to the violence, to the truly bad parts of life, it was part of being what she had been. But when she had finally, finally bought her way free, she knew there would still be blood price to play after. She'd never truly be free. She'd be called back in for things like this, over and over again.

But with Nolan, this was something she knew that she needed to be a part of. The Crows had been responsible for so much happening in the Marches here lately, that she felt it was something she had to do, had to slip back into the more savory bits of her trade to make amends. Penance. She would pay penance where she could. She couldn't wash her hands of all the murders, a ledger dripping red with blood, but she could do small things like this to try and make those amends where she could. Oh, you know me, any time I can fuck someone over who really, truly deserves it, the call is too much to deny.

Her mouth settled into a playful smirk as she sat back down on the bench of her boat, watching him work. He should have been retired too, the both of them. They reached an age most people never got to, especially people in their field of work. That should have been enough to let the both of them spend time doing something more than this. But, he was like her, there was too much debt left to the world to rest yet. I like it here, the cove has a sandbar so no one can really charge me from the sea without knowing the tide schedule, and, only you and I know where the stair case is, and getting to it is a bitch. There's fields around the cottage, no where really to hide that can be scouted easily before hand. I can see someone coming for almost a mile in any direction, gives me more than enough time to get ready to fight if I need too. As for the demons and spirits, I ignore them for the most part. You used to hunt them though, didn't you Nolan, or something like that? They traded quips like this, back and forth when they were contacts for one another, sometimes it was someone else, but most of the time it was him.

I got a debt to pay still. I may have bought my freedom, but it doesn't make up for what I had to take to buy it. Simple as that. As long as she felt like she owed someone, she would get pulled out of retirement until she was in the grave.

@Nolan Reid
As her words reached him, Nolan couldn't help but chuckle. You've always had a knack for finding the ones who deserve it most, he replied, a smirk tugging at his lips. And let's be honest, it's a lot more fun when they have it coming.

The years had been hard on both of them, but they'd survived where many hadn't, and that counted for something. Celine's talk of her cove and the defensive advantages it offered made him nod in approval. Sounds like you've got yourself a fortress there. Perfect for keeping unwanted visitors at bay. And yeah, I used to hunt demons and spirits. It was a messy business, but someone had to do it.

Nolan leaned against the rail, his eyes scanning the horizon. He'd seen too much, done too much, to ever feel truly at peace. But with Celine, he found something close to it. They were kindred spirits, bound by their pasts and the blood they'd spilled. We've both got debts to pay, Celine, he said, his voice softer now. But it's not just about paying for the past. It's about making sure the future is better for those who come after us.

He turned to face her fully, his expression serious. You may have bought your freedom, but you've earned it a hundred times over. Every time we take down someone who deserves it, every time we make a small difference, it adds up. We can't change what we did, but we can damn well make sure we leave this world a little better than we found it.

Nolan's gaze softened as he looked at her, admiration and respect clear in his eyes. And for what it's worth, I wouldn't want to be doing this with anyone else. You and me, we understand the cost of our freedom. And as long as there's work to be done, we'll do it together.

@Celine Vonn
From where she was propped up against the rail, as he worked, she could see the shoreline, see the tiny dot that was a solitary candle burning in the window of same said cottage. He was right, of course, she did have a habit of finding the worst of the worst, something the Five had helped her do, when she had first been trying to leave the Crows. Told her there was something better out there, that she could be a force for good in the world. And when she had finally bought her freedom she hadn't looked back. The others it had been a slower task, to change, but for her, the moment she knew she had been owned by no master but herself, she had decided that was that, and lived, truly like she owed the world.

The Five, Nolan and herself, Gabriel, Eithne, and Marcel. They'd spent so much time, doing things for different masters, that the moment any of them had grabbed a modicum of autonomy from the masters holding their chains, they had all decided one simple thing. Be better, do better. And that had been bought in blood, and a small portion of life from each of them. But the past was the past, and Nolan was there in front of her now. Well, most everyone has it coming.

She grinned, a little, there in the dark as she watched the coast line. They didn't need to get seen, but she had a sinking suspicion that whatever had been trying to get her attention in the cave, wasn't done with her yet this evening. You don't have anywhere to stay yet, like that, do you? Celine asked, with genuine curiosity, she hadn't really ever given it much thought to where Nolan went, after they met like this -- two ships in the night.

If I could get more people to understand how much freedom costs once it's taken, maybe so many wouldn't take it from others in the first place. She pulled the wrap from around her head, running her fingers through her hair to try and loosen the mass of curls there. She kept it tied down while working, it was a liability, but now, now they were just shooting the shit.

Her movements stilled though, as she felt a rush of air come at her. Do you feel that?

She had seconds to grab the rail before her small boat was rocked, hard, nearly capsizing the small thing, before it was dropped back over, nearly flinging her head first into the side of his boat. Nolan!? She didn't see him immediately, through the mass of curls now flopped into her eyes.
Nolan had been tightening a rope when the boat lurched violently. One moment, he was standing firm on the deck, the next, he was flailing through the air. He barely registered Celine’s shout before he hit the cold water with a loud splash.

The shock of the icy water stole his breath away, and he struggled to regain his bearings. The current pulled at him, but years of training kicked in, and he began to swim back toward the boat.

Celine! he called out, sputtering as he broke the surface. The saltwater stung his eyes, but he could make out the silhouette of the boat against the moonlit sky. He kicked harder, his muscles protesting against the cold and the strain.

He reached the side of the boat and grasped the slick wood, hauling himself up with a grunt. His clothes weighed him down, but determination pushed him forward. He finally made it back on board, dripping and panting, his breath coming in harsh gasps.

Nolan managed a shaky laugh, wiping water from his face. Just a bit of a swim, no big deal, he quipped, though his shivering betrayed the ordeal. What the hell was that?

He scanned the horizon, his expression tense. Whatever it was, it’s not done with us yet.

Nolan nodded, still catching his breath. We need to be ready for anything. Let’s secure the boat and keep an eye out. I’ve got a feeling tonight’s not over yet.

@Celine Vonn
Celine's hands were firm as she helped Nolan back into the boat, frowning. The spirit was the one that could come out this far, as far as she could tell -- the demon had never followed her this far out -- could it be a warning, or was it just being playful? Or was it jealous that...? No, the spirit had never come around when she bought her conquests home for a night, if they even made the cottage. So what had prompted it? She'd have to figure that out later -- for now she needed to get Nolan out of those wet clothes and make sure hypothermia didn't set it. Come on, into my cove, we'll stash the boats through the day.

She started to get some ropes out from around her feet of her row boat to tie around his slightly larger craft, to start getting ready for them to make their way to her little cave. We need to get you out of those clothes and next to a fire. Let me sit against your back so we can warm you back up quick. I'm not having you catch something and die on me. Skin to skin contact was the best. She had learned that in her times sailing through the frozen seas. At night when the sun wasn't shining, this area turned frigid, and the water was worse. At least on land we'll not get toppled back into the sea. And they were close to when the tide pattern would change again -- the two moons of their world making tide patterns reckless for certain hours of the night, especially this close to the shore line.

She stood, and looped a rope around the railing of his small craft, as something knocked into her, and knocked her completely out of the boat and into the side of his craft, the air, and consciousness knocked from her in that moment. No, the spirit had always been playful, was the last thing she thought, before she woke, thirty feet down in the water and her limbs starting to turn to ice -- this was the demon. It wanted her attention, and was going to use Nolan to get it. Lethargy seeped into her limbs, but, an experienced sailor, she kicked, hard, towards the less dark water, and prayed that she was going upward -- even as her skirts started to drag her back down.

Lungs screaming for air, she struggled her way out of her dress, pulling the knife from her side belt and cutting the excess fabric free from her legs, she started to kick hard again, losing both her boots in the process -- they too were keeping her from being able to surface, and her life wasn't worth clothing. When she finally broke the surface, she was right beside the row boat, teeth chattering, as she hoped Nolan hadn't jumped in after her. Damnation! Get me up, the sea claimed my dress and boots this time.

She laughed, but it was punctuated by her chattering teeth, as she did her best to try and swing a naked leg up and into the side of the boat to get back in. Apparently, my demon and spirit don't like us out here this evening. We should make it back to the cave as soon as possible and we'll nurse ourselves on some rum and a hot fire. If they made it there.

@Nolan Reid
Nolan's teeth chattered uncontrollably as Celine’ helped to pull him back into the boat. He could see the concern etched on her face, her frown deepening with each passing second. As she secured him, he could sense her mind was elsewhere, likely pondering the spirit that had come so far out, or why it had acted as such. He hadn’t met the spirit yet, but she had talked about it, and from the way she’d talked, it felt out of character for the spirit, or was it something else entirely.

When she suggested they head into her cove, he managed a weak nod, appreciating her decisiveness. Her efficiency and calm in the face of strange occurrences were part of what had drawn him to her. He watched as she deftly tied ropes around his larger boat, preparing to tow it to her hidden cave.

Her next words cut through the haze of cold enveloping his mind. Any other time he probably would have teased her about it, but he was freezing cold and still quite set. His wet clothes clinging to his body, feeling like they were making him colder and colder by the second.

Nolan tried to muster a smile but his lips felt frozen. Thanks, Celine. I owe you one, he managed to say through chattering teeth. He understood the urgency. Having sailed the frozen seas himself, he knew how perilous the cold could be. The idea of skin-to-skin contact for warmth was not new to him, but things just weren’t going as planned.

Nolan's heart pounded in his chest as he watched Celine loop the rope around the railing of his small craft. He barely had time to register the sudden movement before something knocked into her, sending her crashing into the side of his boat. The sound of the impact echoed in his ears, and for a moment, everything seemed to slow down. He saw Celine's body slump, her consciousness clearly lost, and then she disappeared beneath the water.

Celine! he shouted, panic surging through him. He leaned over the edge, straining to see any sign of her. The water churned violently, the surface bubbling as if the sea itself were alive. His mind raced. The spirit had always been playful, but this—this was different. This felt malicious.

Seconds felt like hours as he scanned the dark water, his heart clenching with fear. Then, he saw her. Thirty feet down, her form barely visible in the murky depths. His stomach turned as he watched her struggle, her limbs moving sluggishly, fighting against the lethargy that threatened to drag her deeper. His hands gripped the edge of the boat so tightly his knuckles turned white. Come on, Celine. You can do this.

Finally, she broke the surface, gasping for air, right beside the rowboat. Relief flooded through him as he saw her alive, but the sight of her teeth chattering, reminded him that now they both needed to get out of the wet clothing and warmed up. As Celine yelled about helping her up, he immediately offered assistance. Nolan immediately reached down, grabbing her arms and hauling her up with all his strength.

Thank the stars, he muttered, his voice thick with relief. Celine, I thought I'd lost you. He listened as she talked about the spirit, but he raised an eyebrow at mention of a demon. He didn’t remember her saying she had demon troubles. Nolan nodded, wrapping his arms around her to share his body heat.

He started rowing, each stroke powered by a desperate need to reach the safety of the cave. The twin moons cast an eerie light on the water, making the journey feel surreal, almost dreamlike. But the cold, the urgency in Celine's eyes, kept him focused.

@Celine Vonn
When she felt Nolan's hand close around her fore arm, to help drag her into the boat, she felt the weight of the experience fall from her, wash back into the water, like the sluicing of water was known to do. He had her. Nolan had her in hand, and the black depth of water wasn't going to drag her back down, demons be damned -- the water couldn't have her just yet. She had promises and red in her ledger that still had to be brought to current, so she could turn around and die with every debt cleared.

And here she was gaining another one with one of her oldest friends in the world. She would think about all these near death experiences later -- one with Horus, and now one with Nolan -- later, much much later. When she had a good bit of rum in her belly and a warm body between her legs. She'd let it come upon her for a moment in time and then would let it wash free yet again.

She curled into the bottom of the boat, as he rowed, trying to keep her teeth from chattering as they went -- Nolan knew the way, knew the small cave system that lead into the cellar of her home -- this smuggling run usually old hat for them both, but tonight, something wanted them not to part ways just yet, and it was just like the demon infested cave to be the reason for it. No, neither of them really wanted to admit to the other that they needed the other's company. The tarp along the bottom of the small dingy was drawn up and over her shoulders in an effort to stave off the cold just a little while longer. This part of the waters got cold quick, and in winter, worse. She could feel the tips of her hair ice up, and knew that the ache that was starting to bloom behind her eyes was an indication of the headache to come if they didn't get warm soon.

And soon enough she felt the spine of the boat run up into the sand of her cove. She didn't try to speak because she knew she'd be at risk of biting her tongue, but she moved as fast as she could, hopping out and looping the mooring ropes around the large rounds that served as part of her dock -- when the tide came back in here in a few hours, this area would be chest high with water -- it's what made it such a good place for smuggling -- only accessible 6 hours in day light, and 6 hours at night, with the way the tides surged with the double moons, and even then, someone had to know where to look in the cliff walls to find it. With the boats secured, Celine forced her legs to take her to the small tent, to the blankets, and fire starter, fingers flexing fists to fully splayed trying to keep the blood flowing.

Here, help me with the flint, she chattered out, trying hard not to chip her teeth or take a chunk of her tongue as she knelt down, finding dry tinder to build a quick fire. The needed to get the worst of the cold off them before climbing the hidden staircase up into her house, and they had to be alert, and warm enough to make the four foot jump across the open air gap without falling some 20 odd feet back down into the sand. She had missed it too many times in the past and nursed broken and sprained legs too many times to know neither of them would make that jump at the moment. When she passed off the flint and dry kindling, she pulled warmer blankets from the tent, and shed the rest of her wet clothing -- any sense of prudishness gone in what came down to a survival situation for them both.

Once they were warm, the could have the luxury of flushed cheeks and the mindfulness of being wrapped around one another's naked form, but for the moment, she draped one of the blankets over her shoulders and adjusted a fire shield to help direct the heat of the soon to be flames back into the tent. I can't feel my fingers or toes anymore, fuck it's gonna hurt when they warm up.

Another worry for once the fire was started, even as a howl that echoed like cackling laughter bounced off the cave walls.
Nolan shrugged off his jacket, tossing it aside with a shiver, then began peeling off his soaked shirt, its heavy, cold fabric clinging stubbornly to his skin. Each movement sent a jolt of pain through his stiff muscles, but he forced himself through it. He cast a quick look at Celine, who’d already shed her wet layers and wrapped herself in a thick blanket, huddled near the growing fire.

With a grunt, he tugged off his boots and socks, then finally worked off his waterlogged pants, letting them fall in a wet heap. The cave air was biting against his bare skin, but he knew that keeping the wet clothes on would be a surefire way to invite hypothermia. As he wrapped himself in the second blanket, the warmth of the fire seeped slowly into him, and he sat close enough to Celine to share their body heat, pulling her to his side.

He gritted his teeth against the pain of returning circulation, squeezing his fists open and shut as sensation crept back into his fingers. The warmth that rose between them was practical, but it felt like more than survival, something primal, like two people refusing to let the darkness claim them.

With a glance at the flickering shadows on the cave walls, Nolan’s expression hardened. Whatever it takes, Celine, he said, his voice a low growl. That demon can try all it wants. It won’t get us tonight. His arm tightened around her, sharing the fire’s warmth and his own resolve. Let it howl. We’re still here.

@Celine Vonn
When she felt him join her at the fire, she wiggled into the same blanket as him, not shy about needing to have the body heat shared, and this one time she wasn't looking for something else, no, this moment was about survival, so when she saw the grimace on his face, she gently tugged his arms around her middle, to press her back to his chest, as much skin to skin contact as they could, as she veed her legs to create a vent, to allow the heat off the fire into the blankets.

She worked at massaging his hand, working towards the fingers, her own having already started to throb in pain as well as they warmed back up, her head tilting back to lay on his shoulder as she heard him talk, her eyes closing as the demon howled again, laughing, but she shook her head at it, and sighed gently. It's had it's fun, it's been more active since the last shipment we traded, but it's never been this malevolent. Mischievous here and there, but never.. never this level of maleficence. Celine was certain there were two, a demon and a spirit, that haunted her little home and cove, as the one that tended to make itself known in her house was always playful, light hearted. A book's page turned, or even closed, little faced in the steam of the mirror, a giggle in the middle of the night. Nothing that scared her, or had tried to harm her, but here below?

It operated on fear.

It's why she was now certain that there was two. They'd be able to hike up, to the bed, after they warmed up some more, it would be the next evening before they'd be able to set him on his way across the channel, the next tide pattern that would let him out, which meant that she'd like that they both have a good night sleep for once, but barring that, the tent had enough blankets they could wrap up in to sleep, and ignore the demonic thing. And it made sense to stay near the shipment. She flexed her fingers after a little bit, testing them, as she continued to work his along with her own again the chill. The fire was doing it's job, as she winced at her toes gaining feeling again.

The deadened feel blooming into exquisite pain, the flood of heat, and throbbing that came with re-awakening extremities, but it was a good thing, it meant she'd not be losing any of them, even if the pain was enough to make her squirm some. She had been stabbed, more times than not, but the return of blood flow to frozen limbs always turned her into a child again. But you're right, she finally admitted, between breaths, her fingers finally slowing along his, How do I hurt it?

She was tired of it's bullshit.

@Nolan Reid
Nolan held Celine close, the warmth of their shared body heat slowly seeping through the layers of chilled skin and aching muscles. As he worked the feeling back into his hands with her help, he felt the sharp, painful return of circulation in his limbs, wincing slightly but remaining silent. The flickering firelight cast shadows across the cave walls, but the warmth was enough to push the darkness back, at least for now.

Her mention of the demon’s increasing malevolence made Nolan’s brow furrow. He’d known her long enough to trust her instincts, and if she said the thing had grown more dangerous, he believed her. Spirits and demons were never to be underestimated. He’d dealt with his fair share of malevolent entities in his time, but the way this one targeted Celine with such precision had him on edge.

He listened as she explained the difference between the playful spirit in her home and the malevolent force down here, and he nodded. It made sense. Spirits, especially ones that lingered, often took on distinct personalities, and it sounded like she was dealing with two very different entities. The one haunting the cove was something far more dangerous—something that fed on fear. That, Nolan knew how to handle.

When she asked how to hurt it, his jaw tightened. This wasn’t going to be easy. Demons that thrived on fear were notoriously hard to pin down, much less kill. But they weren’t invincible, either. You just had to hit them where it hurt most.

Demons like that... they feed off fear. They want you to be scared, to feel powerless. That’s how they get stronger, how they sink their claws into you. His voice was low, steady, and filled with the hard-earned wisdom of someone who had faced down monsters before. He squeezed her hand gently, letting her know he was with her every step of the way.

You want to hurt it? You gotta do the opposite of what it wants. You can’t show fear. Every time it tries to scare you, fight back. Mock it. Show it that it doesn’t control you. He paused for a moment, glancing around the cave, listening to the demon’s distant howling, echoing like mocking laughter.

That thing wants you to think you’re alone out here. But you’re not. You’ve got me. And I’ve fought worse things than this. His voice took on a gruff edge, determination hardening his features as he looked at her. Next time it tries something, we face it together. We stand our ground, and we make it realize we’re not afraid. That’s how you beat it, Celine. You take back your power.

@Celine Vonn