Randomness redefined
None
Wyatt had always prided himself on his ability to slip in and out of places unnoticed. Years of running with the wrong crowd had sharpened his skills in evasion and stealth, but here, in the familiar streets of West Hills, he found those skills suddenly failing him. He’d returned home with the intention of laying low, maybe even trying to find some semblance of peace after everything that had gone down. But the moment he’d heard that Rosalie was back in town too, things had gotten complicated.

Rosalie. The name alone stirred up a whirlwind of emotions inside him—guilt, longing, fear, hope. He hadn’t expected to ever cross paths with her again, and now that she was here, Wyatt was torn between wanting to see her more than anything and knowing he should probably keep his distance. After all, he wasn’t the same man she’d known. He’d done things since they’d last been together, things that weighed heavy on his conscience. How could he face her, knowing what he’d become?

So, he’d been walking the fine line between looking for her and avoiding her, hoping that fate might make the decision for him. He’d lingered around the places they used to go, always keeping an eye out but never quite letting himself get close enough to actually bump into her. It was a delicate dance, one that had gone surprisingly well—until now.

He was making his way down the market street, the sun casting long shadows as it dipped toward the horizon, when he felt a familiar pull. His instincts told him to take the next turn, to slip into an alley and disappear before she spotted him. But his heart? His heart had other ideas. It was that split-second hesitation, that one moment of indecision, that did him in.

Wyatt rounded a corner, eyes cast down as he tried to collect his thoughts, and suddenly there she was—Rosalie, right in front of him, as if she’d materialized out of thin air. He froze, his breath catching in his throat, every ounce of his carefully cultivated nonchalance shattering in an instant.

Well, I’ll be damned, he muttered, tipping his hat back slightly, his usual swagger faltering as he locked eyes with her. Rosalie… I, uh, wasn’t expectin’ to see you here.

It was awkward, painfully so, and Wyatt knew it. He could feel the weight of everything he hadn’t said, everything he hadn’t done, hanging between them like a thick fog. All the rehearsed lines and practiced charm deserted him, leaving him standing there, hat in hand, just a man who wasn’t sure if he was worthy of the woman in front of him.

@Aelynthi Loraronna
Getting used to West Hill’s slower pace was one of the few things that Rosalie wasn’t having trouble with. While she had gotten used to Val Royeaux splendor, the busy city and the always fast pace of the university she had to admit that there was something comforting about the slower pace of Ferelden’s routine, and she believed the change would help Lucien to get used to here too.

The wet nurse had been a blessing, she knew how to prepare substitutes but it was an easier way to keep Lucien feed, for the few months that he had left until turning completely into eating only normal food since the baby was already six months old.

She was buying some herbs from the market, trying to keep her mind busy on the products that she was purchasing instead of her grief when she suddenly almost bumped into a tall man. She was a bit confused for a moment, the voice and height putting her off since she knew few men as tall as her brother.

She blinked narrowing her eyes before recognition sparked and a smile appeared on her lips “Wyatt? Maker how much you have grown, when we parted ways I was taller than you!” she said with a wide smile as she pulled him into an embrace “Maker this is a miracle!! How are you??” she said before breaking the embrace “Oh sorry! Maybe I should have asked for permission, excitement got the best of me “ she said shyly.
Wyatt was caught off guard by the warm embrace, his arms instinctively wrapping around Rosalie as she pulled him in. For a moment, he simply stood there, breathing in the familiar scent of her hair, feeling the softness of her against him. It was like being pulled back in time, to a place where things were simpler, where he hadn’t yet made all the choices that led him down the path he was on now. But that moment of comfort quickly gave way to the reality of the situation, and as she pulled back, he found himself grappling with the flood of emotions her presence stirred up.

Her smile was contagious, and despite everything, Wyatt felt a small grin tugging at the corners of his lips. She had always had that effect on him, even when they were younger, even when he was trying his damnedest to act like nothing got under his skin. But now, standing here in the middle of West Hills, all he could think about was how much had changed since then—how much he had changed.

He chuckled, a low, rough sound that held more nerves than humor. Heh, yeah, time does that, I guess, he replied, his voice tinged with a bit of that old swagger, though it was more forced than natural. But I ain’t just grown taller, Rosie. I’ve been… well, let’s just say I’ve been around.

Wyatt tipped his hat slightly, a familiar gesture, but there was an awkwardness to it now, like he wasn’t quite sure how to be around her anymore. The easy confidence he usually wore like a second skin felt brittle in her presence, like it could crack at any moment. He shoved his hands into his pockets, trying to keep the tension out of his shoulders as he looked down at her.

Don’t worry ‘bout the hug, I could use a few more of those these days, he said, his tone softening as he looked at her, really looked at her. She was still the same Rosalie he remembered, but there was something different too, something in her eyes that spoke of experiences and pain he didn’t know about. And then it hit him—she wasn’t just the girl he used to know; she was a mother now. He’d heard whispers about her having a child, but seeing her in person, he could sense the change in her.

The realization sent a pang through his chest. He had so many questions, so many things he wanted to say, but he didn’t know where to start. What could he say that wouldn’t dredge up all the things he wasn’t ready to face?

I, uh… I heard you were back in town. Didn’t think I’d actually run into you, though. Guess the Maker has a sense of humor, huh?

He tried to sound casual, but there was a vulnerability in his eyes that betrayed him. This wasn’t just a random encounter for him—it was the one thing he’d been avoiding and hoping for all at once. The part of him that had never stopped caring about Rosalie wanted to reach out, to reconnect, but the part of him that knew he wasn’t the man she once knew was terrified of what might happen if he did.

You look… good, Rosie. Better than I expected, with everything that’s been goin’ on. How’ve you been holdin’ up?

It was a simple question, but one that carried so much weight. He wasn’t sure he was ready to hear the answer, but he knew he owed it to her to ask.

@Rosalie Rutherford
“Well I probably look older too, I hope that at the least I haven’t aged terribly” she said, humor on her voice. Rosie wasn’t a vain person and she couldn’t care less about looking older or not, but the presence of Wyatt was reassuring and made her feel lighter, as if time and pain had not passed “Oh? Around good? Or Around bad?” she said raising an eyebrow as she looked at the man in front of her.

“Oh well I do give good hugs so feel free to request more whenever you wish for them!” she said smiling as she noticed a slightly awkward vibe coming from him even if she couldn’t pinpoint the reason behind it.

“Well I am glad of that you did! I didn’t look for you because I didn’t know that you were around otherwise I’d have looked for you! It’s been too long, it does feel good to meet old friends” she said with a smile.

“I…it’s been complicated” she said as she tried to remain composed and failed to do so in front of Wyatt. “I lost everything that I had in Orlais. My partner, my sister in law and her husband and I could just save their son” she said with a sigh “Getting used to have a baby around is hard, I am experienced with adults but I haven’t been around many babies and it’s a bit…complicated, but I am doing a bit better…I think” she said a stray tear making her way down her cheeks “and how are you nowadays Wyatt?”
Wyatt's heart twisted as he watched Rosalie struggle to hold herself together, the flicker of grief in her eyes and the tear that slipped down her cheek cutting through him like a knife. He felt a pang of regret for not seeking her out sooner, for not being there when she’d clearly needed someone—*when she’d needed him.* She was a different woman now, stronger in ways he couldn’t fully understand but wounded in ways he wanted to heal.

He let out a soft breath, his usual playful bravado dropping as he reached out and brushed the tear from her cheek with the gentlest touch, his thumb lingering for just a moment longer than necessary. He’d done a lot of things he wasn’t proud of, but right now, all he wanted was to be the friend she remembered, someone she could lean on without the weight of judgment or guilt between them.

Rosie... I’m so damn sorry. You didn’t deserve any of that, not one bit. Losing family… it leaves a scar that never really heals, does it? His voice was low, the tenderness in it rare and raw. He met her gaze, his eyes holding an earnestness that he couldn’t quite hide. But I’ll tell you one thing, if there’s anyone who can figure out how to raise that boy right, it’s you. Maybe it’s hard now, but you’ve got more grit in you than most folks could ever hope for.

He chuckled softly, a sound laced with both admiration and sadness. As for me... let’s just say I’ve been ‘around’ bad more often than not. I took a few wrong turns, got mixed up in things I shouldn’t have. But lately, I’ve been trying to clean up my act, or at least pretend to. He gave her a half-smile, the kind that didn’t quite reach his eyes but tried to keep things light. Guess you could say I’m a work in progress.

@Rosalie Rutherford